Sunday, June 8, 2008

Dauset Trails 15K Xterra Trail Race

To keep our training steady Ed and I have been trying to plan one race a month. After the 1/2 marathons we ran in March and April we signed up for the Dauset Trails 15K to run in May. We also recruited another coworker for our Tuesday/Thursday lunch runs. Steve also signed up for the Marine Corp Marathon with us in October. So the three of us decided to run the trail race. I shortened my long runs in May with the longest being about 8 miles.

Dauset Trails 15K Trail Race

My parents drove up from Macon and met us about 7am at Dauset Trails. They brought breakfast for the kids and they toured Dauset Trails while we ran. Thanks Mom and Dad.

The race started on the edge of an open field and followed the edge of the woods for about a 1/2 mile before hitting the trails. Once in the trails it was mostly single track and everyone was pretty much following single file. The trail had a lot of rolling hills and is mainly used as a bike trail.

I saw a couple of people take spills but I was managing the rocks pretty good. Until, one jumped out of the ground and got me too. I banged up my knee but not enough to slow me down. After that I was more careful making sure I was lifting my feet more off the ground.

I was in front of Ed and Steve and didnt know how far they were behind so I just tryed to maintain a good pace. After a couple of miles the trail opened up again to a road and there was room to pass if you could. I met another runner, Danny who was wearing a Marine Corp Marathon In Training shirt. We ran together for the rest of the race. Having someone to talk too made the last miles much easier.

At the end the route took us back around the open field which in places had grass about calf high which made for some high step running. I finished in 1:37:13 and really did enjoy it. So much so Ed and I have planned another trail run in June.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Great race report!!! You did a terrific job. You have inspired me to keep my mileage going up. See ya on Twitter.

Stuart said...

Nice job, we'll convert you to a trail runnner yet!